Thursday, May 9, 2013

What Strategies Do You Use?

Barb Rentenbach is an autistic author that was once a lonely, non-verbal girl. She went from biting, screaming, hitting, and smearing feces to discovering that she could communicate with the world through typing. Now she is able to tell people how she feels and she is also an author. She has a book out called "I Might Be You: An Exploration of Autism and Connection". Her story is extraordinary, and is definitely worth listening to. Here is the link: http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=273207

Does anyone have an autistic student that is non-verbal? If so, what strategies do you use? I would love to hear! 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I used to work with a girl who was Autistic and non-verbal. One way to get her to verbalize was to take her to a dark quite movie theater. She would become more vocal than you would believe. Then when we'd get up to leave so others could enjoy the show, she would laugh a deviant laugh. She knew what she was doing, stinker.

    I've also bought a doll stroller with programed buttons "I'm hungry mommy", "good morning", "I love you", "let's play", "I'm tired", and a diaper button. I used this as a very cheap ($4-$5) to help her communicate wants and needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing some of your strategies! They are very creative!! :-)

    ReplyDelete