Friday, August 9, 2013

Do you have a picky eater?


I accidentally ran across a type of therapy that teaches picky, autistic children to try new foods!! Why am I excited over this? I am excited because one of our students will hardly eat anything! There are days he doesn't eat lunch at all and it makes me feel terrible. After reading how it works, I wondered why I didn't think to try it before now! 

First, I will need to figure out what his favorite food is. I have an idea of things he likes, but I need to know what he REALLY loves! It may take some time to figure this out, but I will hopefully start making progress after I get past that first step. We will start out by having him eat 1 bite of something on his plate for 1 bite of his favorite thing. Once he gets used to that, he will eat 2 bites of something on his plate for 1 bite of his favorite thing. We will keep working on this until he has mastered eating a plateful of lunch.

I am hopeful and ecstatic to try this! If you want to read more about how feeding therapy is used, check out the blog Applied Behavioral Strategies. I have a feeling this will be a new favorite blog to follow! 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I have a picky eater too. I read somewhere that picky eaters are often children who also struggle with sensory issues. This is so true of my little one. I have to cut tags out of clothes and get here socks on just right. Thanks for this info!

    ReplyDelete