Friday, October 25, 2013

Five for Friday

It's Friday!! It's time to link up with Doodlebug's Five for Friday and enjoy a restful weekend! I have been working hard to prepare for next week! I want all of my activities for next week to have a Halloween theme. I have decided to share two of them with you. I am also going to share what we did for our hygiene lesson. The kids really enjoyed it!

1
The first activity I want to share goes along with the book, "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat". I LOVE this series of books! It repeats a lot of words and has a lot of rhymes, so it's great for emergent readers. The main reason I want to use this book is to work on listening skills. So... I found an "old lady" template and created an activity with it that I think will be helpful for the kids. 
Step 1: Print out template from http://www.kizclub.com/storypatterns/swallowed(C).pdf
Step 2: Cut the template out and cut the circle (stomach) out.
Step 3: Glue or tape the top and bottom together and laminate.
Step 4: Cut a gallon sized zip-lock bag to a size that will fit behind the hole, and staple around it. See picture below.


Step 5: Print these pictures off from Creating and Teaching and cut them out.
Step 6: Put them in the zip-lock bag.

When you are ready to use this activity. Have students take the pictures out of the bag. As you read the story, they will place the pictures in the bag in chronological order.

2
The second activity I am going to use for next week is the Halloween Spider Sort. It's a nice freebie from Fluttering Through First Grade! After I printed it off, I decided to turn it into a file folder activity! I didn't take a picture of the back, but I taped the recording page on the back before I laminated the file folder. 

I cut a slit on the top of both spider pictures to make pockets. The cards you see below will be sorted and placed in the correct pocket.


3
We have started doing a hygiene lesson every Friday! Today we learned about brushing our teeth. We watched a BrainPop video, did an experiment that I printed off from the Unique program, worked on a Dental Health Packet, and brushed our teeth! For the experiment, I printed off the book "Toothache". You can find it in the Unique Learning System library (if you use that program). The story has a short experiment at the end that teaches the students how sugary drinks can affect your teeth. I am going to add the steps for this experiment just in case you do not have the Unique Learning System program.

Step 1: Place boiled eggs in coke to soak for 5 hours. 
Step 2: To prepare, you will need: a toothbrush, toothpaste, and a bowl of water. 
Step 3: Read "Toothache" or another story about brushing your teeth. 
Step 4: Show the egg to the students after it has been sitting in coke. 
Step 5: Wet toothbrush, apply toothpaste, and let each child brush a spot on the egg.
Step 6: Rinse the egg and let the students see how clean it is! 

4
We are having a spaghetti dinner on Halloween to help raise money for one of our students. He is in a wheelchair, and we want him to have a swing outside! Our menu will include spookhetti, ghoulic bread, and Halloween desserts! 

5

My husband got a new job!! He will be an app developer for one of our local news stations. I'm so excited for him, and we give all the credit to the good Lord above! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!! 

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the spaghetti dinner! Congratulations to your husband on his new job!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete