Saturday, January 11, 2014

Social Stories for Classroom Management

Hello friends! 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year! I got an extra week added on to my winter break because the roads have been bad. I'm definitely rested and ready to go back! 

I have mentioned before that another sped teacher and I are working in the same room together. It can be challenging with so many students in one room, but thankfully the adults work well together! I'm excited to announce that my room is scheduled to be complete by this Wednesday!! I will miss the kids and adults that won't be moving with me, but I'm also excited. I'm ready to have my own room and develop my own routines and way of doing things. 

My biggest concern about the new room is transitioning the students!! It's going to be a big change for them. I assume that they will need to get adjusted again... just like they do at the beginning of the year. I won't go into all of my plans, but I will mention that I have plans of using social stories. I am a big fan of them. They are easy to understand and they have clear visuals. I bought the School Behavior Bundle from Melissa Toth, and I hope to buy the other bundles! The bundles are $8, I think. That isn't a bad price for 5 books, but I got a great deal on this bundle because I bought it during the cyber sale. I'm sure everyone has their own way of assembling printable books, but this is how I put them together: 

After laminating and cutting the pages out, I took a hole punch and punched a hole in the upper left corner of each page. To keep them even, I put one page behind the title page. I used the title page for punching a hole in each page because they are colorful. It made it easier to see where I needed to go. 

After I punched the holes in each page, I used ring clips to hold them together!


I'm pretty excited about using these. They are so versatile. You can use them for whole group lessons, practice during centers, or maybe just read one for a quick reminder before transitioning into another activity. Let me know how you assemble your printable books! I may end up liking your idea better! :-)  


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Wow… so honored to have you share these on your page :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! The ones I write are 8x11, but i really like the smaller size that you've created. Thanks for your great idea!

    ReplyDelete